Highland’s High School Juried Art Exhibit

Liz Rummel

Highland Community College hosted its 47th Annual District High School Juried Art Exhibit in the Highland Gallery of the Ferguson Fine Arts Center from April 6, 2017 to May 3, 2017.  The exhibit was a free event, open to the public.

This year, there were three local high schools that participated: Freeport, Pearl City, and Stockton. Instructor of Art at Highland and Highland Gallery Director Robert Apolloni says that the art exhibit serves “as a strong example of a successful collaboration between the college and district High Schools.”

In order to be eligible to submit a piece of art into the Highland Gallery art exhibit, students were required to be enrolled in a High School that resides within the Highland Community College district. In addition, the works of art that were submitted by the students were to be completed within the past two years, and art work that had been previously exhibited at the Highland Gallery was not accepted.  Eligible students were allowed to submit up to three pieces of art for $1.00 per submission.  There were limitations on the width and height of the art pieces submitted, as well as limitations on the art piece’s weight.

On April 6, an opening reception and awards presentation took place. The exhibition’s awards consisted of: Best of Show, First Place, Second Place, Third Place, Best of School, and Honorable Mentions.  Sophia McIlvanie of Freeport High School was awarded the Best of Show award.  First Place was awarded to Hattie Archer of Freeport High School.  Burgundy Barklow of Pearl City High School was awarded Second Place.  Third Place was awarded to Cessli D’Antonio of Stockton High School.  The Best of School Award for Pearl City High School was awarded to Macayla Pilson.  The Best of School Award for Stockton High School was awarded to Kendall Schulz.  The Best of School Award for Freeport High School was awarded to Emma Thompson.  Honorable Mentions from Pearl City High School were awarded to Amber Baumgartner, Isabella Dickman, and Madison Pitts.  Honorable Mentions from Freeport High School were awarded to Eric Antonio Fajardo, Katrina Guthrie, and Hector Marin.

On top of receiving recognition for their superb work, students who were awarded Best of Show, First Place, Second Place, and Third Place all received a cash prize, along with a placement ribbon. Students who were awarded Best of School Awards received certificates, and students received placement ribbons for Honorable Mentions.

Not only does this annual art exhibit benefit Highland and the eligible high school students, Apolloni says, “this exhibition truly reflects the spirit and ideas of a diverse community that supports the visual arts.”