Class of 2017 Graduation Preview

Josh Meador

In just over a week on Saturday, May 13th at 10a.m. the class of 2017 will be graduating and students will be receiving a variety of degrees and certificates. If the weather is nice the ceremony will be held outside in the courtyard between buildings M, N, and T. Family and friends can bring lawn chairs if they would like as seating will be limited. If the weather does not cooperate it will be held inside the YMCA Sports Complex main gym on the HCC Campus. If the ceremony is inside students will be allowed a maximum of 9 guests who must have tickets to get in. Also if the ceremony is inside guests should be sure to arrive early as the gym doors will be locked at 10a.m. sharp. Students will park in Lot B and visitors will park in Lot D.

Highland offers several educational programs including transfer degrees to four year schools such as Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science, Associate of Engineering Science, and others for students who are looking to further their education to a bachelor’s or even master’s degree, there is also certificate programs that lead directly to employment involving auto body repair, commercial truck driving, welding, nursing, cosmetology, and many more, as well as programs for students who want to expand their education to meet their own personal and vocational goals by earning an Associate of General Studies or certificate.

Graduates will be given a notecard when they check in promptly at 9 a.m. with their name on it as it is to be read when they receive their diploma. This card is then to be given to the pronouncer. Faculty members will enter first followed by graduates. Once everyone is in front of a chair the music will stop and the President will ask everyone to be seated. After introductions, student main speeches will be given, honors recognition, and then degrees and certificates will be conferred. Recipients will be lined up alphabetically, by degree or certificate. The order will be AA, AS, AES, AAS, AGS, and then Certificates in alphabetical order. Tassels are to be worn on the right until all candidates have received their diploma or certificate and the Board Chair confers the degrees, and then moved to the left. The ceremony will end the same way it began, faculty exiting first, then graduates.

The New Persona Studio will also be taking pictures as each graduate receives their diploma. These photos can be purchased after the ceremony. Graduates will only receive their diploma covers at the ceremony. Actual diplomas will be mailed out six to eight weeks after the ceremony as long as there are no complications.